ADIDAS Full Form is Adolf “Adi” Dassler. ADIDAS has its roots in Germany but truly it is a global company. Around the world it has employed over 57,000 people. Employees from about 100 nations are working in global HQ in Herzogenaurach, Germany – the ‘World of Sports’. It is a multinational company which designs and manufactures premium quality sports shoes, sports apparels and other sports equipment and accessories.
The company also produces other products like bags, watches and eye gear. Adidas is headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Germany. It also owns the Reebok, TaylorMade and Rockport.
Every year it produce over 900 million sports and sports lifestyle products with independent manufacturing partners worldwide. In 2018 ADIDAS generated sales of € 21.915 billion. These numbers alone can easily suggest that ADIDAS is quite a large and also multifaceted organization. True. But we keep things simple, lean and fast.
- In 1920, at the age of 20, avid soccer player Adolph Dassler, son of a cobbler, invented spiked shoes for track and field.
- Four years later Adi and his brother Rudolph (Rudi) founded the German sports shoe company.
- By 1925 the Dasslers were making leather shoes with nailed studs.
- Beginning with the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam, Adi’s uniquely designed shoes began to gain a worldwide reputation.
- In the mid-1930s, he made 30 different shoes for eleven different sports with a workforce of around 100 employees. After Second World War, Adolf Dassler had to make a fresh start.
- So, in 1947, he began with 47 workers and made first post-war sports shoes using canvas and rubber from the American fuel tanks.
- In 1948, he introduced the brand ADIDAS as the name of his company. The name was combination of his first and last name.
- In 1949, he registered the three-stripe mark as the trademark of Adidas.
After the huge success, in 1995, the company went public with its stock.