Batch operating system
The users of batch Operating System do not allow to interact the computer directly. Each user prepares his job on an off-line device like punch cards and submits it to the computer operator.
The operator sorts jobs into batches with similar requirements and runs each batch on the computer. When the job is complete its output is sent back to the appropriate user. In batch system, major task of operation system is to transfer control automatically from one job to the next.
Advantages Of Batch Operating System
- Resource Management and allocation is very easy.
- Faster than serial processing.
Disadvantages Of Batch Operating System
- Lack of interaction between the user and the job while job is executing.
- Turnaround time is high. The delay between job submission and job completion is called turnaround time.
- Utilisation of CPU is very poor. The CPU is often idle.
- Difficult to provide the desired priority.