It shall come into force on such date- as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
Objectives of this Act
- To prevent exploitation of contract labour and also to introduce better conditions of work.
- To do away wit the abuses of the system of employment of contract labour.
- It extends to the whole of India.
Coverage of the Act
- To every establishment in which twenty or more workmen are employed or were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months as contract labour;
- to every contractor who employees or who employed on any day of the preceding twelve months twenty or more workmen
- It shall not apply to establishments in which work only of an intermittent or casual nature is performed.
- If a question arises whether work performed in an establishment is of
an intermittent or casual nature, the appropriate Government shall decide that question after consultation with the Central Board or, as the case may be, a State Board, and its decision shall be final.
Facilities Under this Act
- A canteen in every establishment employing 100 or more workers.
- Rest rooms or other suitable alternative accommodation where the contract labour is required to halt at night in connection with work of an establishment.
- Washing facilities.
- First aid boxes equipped with the prescribed contents.
In case the contractor fails to make the above arrangements, the principal employer is liable to provide the same.