Types Of Software – There are two types of software as shown in the diagram. (1) System Software, (2) Application Software.
Types Of Software
The system software is collection of programs designed to operate, control and extend the processing capabilities of the computer itself. System software are generally prepared by computer manufacturers.
System software comprises programs written in low-level languages, which interact with the hardware at a very basic level. System software is the basic necessity of a computer system for its proper functioning. System software serves as the interface between hardware and the end users. System software not only controls the hardware but also provides a platform for other programs to run onto them. Some examples of system software are Operating System, Compilers, Interpreter, Assemblers, Utility programs etc.
Types Of System Software
(1) System Control Programs – They control the execution of programs, manage the storage and processing resources of the computer and perform other management and monitoring functions. Example are
- Operating System
- Device Drivers
(2) System Support Programs (System Utilities) – They provide routine service functions to other computer programs and computer users. Example is Utility Programs. System utility programs perform day-to-day tasks related to the maintenance of the computer system. They are used to support, enhance, expand and secure existing programs and data in the computer system. Utilities programs are also known as service programs.
(3) System Development Programs – They assist in the creation of computer programs. A software program is developed to accomplish a particular task. The program developer needs certain tools to built a software, which include an appropriate computer language. Examples of System development are:
- Programming Language
- Language Translation
Application software are the software that are designed to satisfy a particular need of a particular environment. All software prepared by us in the computer lab can come under the category of Application software. Examples of Application software are payroll software, student record software inventory control software, Railway reservation software, Income tax software, Word processors, Spreadsheets, DBASE etc. Application software may consist of a program, such as a Microsoft’s notepad for writing and editing simple text. It may also consist of a collection of programs, often called a software package, which work together to accomplish a task, such as a spreadsheet package .
Types Of Application Software
(1) General purpose Application Software – General purpose application software are designed to satisfy common needs of various business. For example, each business uses computer for letter writing and mailing purposes. These application software are developed by leading companies and sold as a product in the market.
(2) Special purpose Application Software – Special application software are created to satisfy specific needs of an organization. are hired to create such software. The cost of such In this case software engineers software depends upon the extent of work automated through software. Example are payroll software, inventory control software, railway reservation software etc.